Last Updated on July 15, 2023 by Ashley Ward
Looking for an easy yet delectable dish that will bring the flavors of home to your plate? Look no further! Today, I’m excited to share with you a scrumptious recipe for frozen hushpuppies in air fryer.
As a passionate foodie who loves to play around with new ingredients and cooking procedures, I have learned to appreciate the power of an air fryer. It has completely changed our approach toward meals; enabling us to indulge in guilty pleasures while still maintaining healthy habits!
What are Hushpuppies?
If you haven’t had the pleasure of experiencing hushpuppies yet, let me introduce you to this southern US delicacy. Hushpuppies are dainty, deep-fried rounds of cornmeal batter that offer a captivating combination of crispiness and softness in every bite.
Not only do they look delectable but their blend of flavors will tantalize your taste buds!
I must admit, I was a bit skeptical at first about how the air fryer would handle the hushpuppies, as traditional deep-frying is the go-to method. But let me tell you, the result was nothing short of astonishing!
The air fryer not only delivered that perfect crispy exterior but also retained the soft, moist interior we all crave in a hushpuppy. And the best part? No greasy mess and fewer calories to worry about!
What do you need to make frozen Hushpuppies in air fryer?
So, without further ado, let’s dive into this mouth-watering air fryer frozen hushpuppies recipe that you’ll undoubtedly fall in love with!
- 1 bag of frozen hushpuppies (approx. 16-20 pieces) – I am using Savannah Classic Sweet Corn Hushpuppies in this recipe.
- Olive oil spray (optional)
- Your favorite dipping sauce (I love homemade honey mustard or tangy remoulade!)
- Air fryer
- A pair of tongs
How to make frozen Hushpuppies in air fryer?
Preheat: Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C). This is important to ensure that your hushpuppies cook evenly and come out with that beautiful golden-brown color.
Arrange: Place the hushpuppies in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
Lightly spray the hushpuppies with olive oil spray. This will give them an extra touch of crispiness and enhance their golden color. Trust me, it’s worth it!
Cook: Cook the hushpuppies for 9-11 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Halfway through the cooking process, gently shake the basket or use tongs to turn the hushpuppies, ensuring even cooking.
Serve: Once your hushpuppies are ready, carefully remove them from the air fryer and transfer them to a serving plate. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes before digging in, as they will be piping hot!
Serve your scrumptious air-fried hushpuppies with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy the heavenly goodness of this southern classic!
Personal tips and variations:
Let me share some of my favorite tips and variations that I’ve concocted which can take your hushpuppies from delicious to divine!
- Preheat the air fryer: To ensure your frozen hushpuppies cook evenly and develop a beautiful golden-brown color, always preheat your air fryer to the recommended temperature (usually around 360°F or 180°C).
This step is crucial for achieving the perfect crispiness and avoiding undercooked or soggy hushpuppies.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket: When placing the hushpuppies in the air fryer basket, make sure they are arranged in a single layer and not touching each other.
Overcrowding the basket can lead to uneven cooking and prevent the hushpuppies from getting crispy. If necessary, cook the hushpuppies in batches to ensure the best results.
- Shake or turn the hushpuppies midway through cooking: To achieve an even golden-brown color and crispy texture, gently shake the basket or use tongs to turn the hushpuppies halfway through the cooking process.
This will ensure that all sides of the hushpuppies are exposed to the hot air, resulting in a uniformly cooked and delicious final product.
- Dipping sauces: Hushpuppies and dipping sauces are a match made in heaven! While I mentioned earlier that I love serving them with homemade honey mustard or tangy remoulade, the options are endless.
Try pairing your hushpuppies with a zesty aioli, a spicy sriracha mayo, or even a creamy ranch dressing. Your guests will adore the variety of flavors and keep coming back for more.
- Pairings: While hushpuppies make a fantastic appetizer on their own, they also pair wonderfully with a variety of dishes. Serve them alongside a bowl of creamy coleslaw, a plate of crispy fried shrimp, or a hearty bowl of chili.
You can even make mini hushpuppy sliders by slicing the hushpuppies into half and sandwiching your favorite pulled pork or chicken filling in between them. Talk about a crowd-pleaser!
Now that I’ve shared my frozen hushpuppies in the air fryer recipe, I hope you’re inspired to give it a try and add your personal touch. This recipe has become a family favorite in my home, and I’m sure it’ll become a staple in yours as well.
Remember, cooking is all about experimenting and having fun in the kitchen, so don’t be afraid to try new things and create your own unique twist on this southern classic.
And when you do, don’t forget to share your culinary creations with me! I’d love to see what you come up with and hear about your own experiences with this delightful dish.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to thaw the hushpuppies before air frying them?
No, there’s no need to thaw the hushpuppies before cooking them in the air fryer.
Can I cook homemade hushpuppies in the air fryer?
Yes, you can effortlessly whip up homemade hushpuppies in an air fryer. Simply shape your batter into small balls before following the same cooking instructions as with frozen ones.
Remember that the cooking time might vary slightly depending on how big or small your hushpuppy is – keep a close eye on them and adjust accordingly!
How do I store leftover air-fried hushpuppies?
To store leftover air-fried hushpuppies, allow them to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How do I reheat Air Fryer Frozen Hushpuppies?
To reheat the hushpuppies, simply place them back in the air fryer at 360°F (180°C) for 3-4 minutes or until heated through and crispy again. This will help maintain their texture and flavor.
Some other air fryer recipes that you may like:
Air Fryer Frozen Hushpuppies
- Air Fryer
- 1 bag frozen hushpuppies
- olive oil spray
- dipping sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Place the hushpuppies in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching.
- Lightly spray the hushpuppies with olive oil spray. This will give them an extra touch of crispiness and enhance their golden color
- Cook the hushpuppies for 9-11 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Halfway through the cooking process, gently shake the basket or use tongs to turn the hushpuppies, ensuring even cooking.
- Once your hushpuppies are ready, carefully remove them from the air fryer and transfer them to a serving plate
- Serve your scrumptious air-fried hushpuppies with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy the heavenly goodness of this southern classic!