Last Updated on January 20, 2023
If you love Japanese food, you’ll love this air fryer Agedashi tofu. This delicious dish made with deep-fried tofu that is coated in a light batter and served with a savory soy sauce-based dipping sauce is so simple to prepare. Best of all, in this version, we are using an air fryer to fry the tofu which makes them less oily and healthier.
What is Agedashi Tofu?
Agedashi Tofu is a traditional Japanese dish made of deep-fried tofu cubes covered in a light batter and served with a savory soy sauce-based dipping sauce. It’s a popular appetizer in Japanese restaurants, but it can also be enjoyed as an entrée or side dish.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE AIR FRYER Agedashi Tofu
Besides tofu, you will need some ingredients for the sauce and the garnish.
For the sauce –
- Hondashi powder
- Soy Sauce
For the tofu –
- Silk tofu
- Potato starch
For the garnish –
- Daikon (radish) (grated)
- Green Onions
- Ginger (grated)
- Bonito Flakes
Begin by slicing the cubes of tofu and covering them with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
While that’s happening, grate some radish and ginger until they’re finely chopped and ready for topping later on.
Pat dry the now-moisture-free cubes before thinly coating them with potato starch – this will give them an irresistibly crisp texture once cooked
Place the coated tofu into the air fryer basket. Spray some oil onto the tofu.
Cook in the air fryer at 375F for 18 minutes! Flip the tofu halfway through cooking.
To finish off, place into a small bowl then top generously with dashi sauce along with grated radishes & ginger as well as bonito flakes; then serve up straight away while still warm.
How to Make DASHI SAUCE
To create a delicious dashi sauce, begin by combining Hondashi (fish broth powder), soy sauce, and mirin in your cooking water. Then bring the mixture to boil before sweetening the taste with sugar – just until desired levels of sweetness are achieved!
Once boiled, take it off the heat and set it aside while you continue preparing your meal.
Tips ON MAKING CRISPY TOFU:
- For an extra crispy finish, when preparing tofu pieces, always make sure to dry them off with a paper towel or cloth. Remember to periodically reapply oil while cooking and lift the lid halfway through for optimal results!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
is Air Fryer Agedashi Tofu Vegan?
For a vegan-friendly version of this dish, try swapping the regular dashi for either kombu or shiitake dashi to stay true to its delicious flavor!
Air Fryer Agedashi Tofu
- Air Fryer
- 300 ml water
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 block tofu
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 2 tbsp Daikon (radish) grated
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- Bonito flakes
- Add hondashi (fish broth powder), soy sauce and mirin in the water
- Bring dashi sauce to boil (add sugar to adjust the sweetness of the sauce)
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and set it aside
- Slice the tofu in cubes and cover them with paper towel to remove the moisture
- Grate radish and set aside
- Grate ginger and set aside
- Pat dry the tofu and thinly coat them with potato starch
- Place them into air fryer and spray some oil
- Cook at 375F for 18 minutes
- Once cooked, place them into a swallow bowl
- Add dashi sauce, top with grated ginger and radish.
- Add bonito flakes on top