Baked potatoes have always been my weakness. A perfect baked potato is hard to beat. Ever since I started using the air fryer, I started using the air fryer for baking potatoes. This air fryer baked potatoes recipe makes the best crispy baked potatoes. The outside is brown and crisp, and when you pierce the skin, your fork gives way to a soft, fluffy interior.
What Potato is Best for a Baked Potato?
For baked potato, you want to pick one of the starchy types of potatoes. You can either use Russet potato or Idaho potato for baking. These are high-starch potatoes, and they work best for dry heat, perfect for the air fryer or oven. Sweet potato is also an excellent choice for baking.
How to Make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes?
I prefer to use Russet potatoes for my baked potatoes. Choose 4 medium-sized potatoes. Always choose the potatoes are of similar size so that they can all cooked evenly.
Next, wash the potatoes, pat dry them with a towel. Brush the potatoes with oil and season them with salt. The salt will make the skin crispier.
Bake the potatoes at 390F for about 50 minutes. The cooking time depends on the size of the potatoes. You can see the cooking time guide below for reference. Once the time is up, using a fork to check if the potatoes are cooked through.
Once the potatoes are ready, split them open and break down the inside a bit. Top it off with your favorite toppings. I love to add chives and sour cream for my topping. Below are some ideas for toppings for your air fryer baked potatoes.
Toppings For Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Ranch dressing
- Cheese, like cheddar, feta, or even queso
- Green Onions
Tips For Cooking Baked Potatoes in Air Fryers
- Be sure your potatoes are all the same size. Different sizes mean varying cooking times. Be sure that your potatoes are all about the same size.
- Always score your potatoes with a fork before cooking. Allowing the air to escape is the key to getting a perfect potato texture.
- Flipping your potatoes once about halfway through cooking will help them to bake evenly. Flip the potatoes and place the basket back in the air fryer to finish baking.
How Long Should You Cook the Baked Potatoes?
- Small Potatoes – 40 minutes
- Medium Potatoes – 50 minutes
- Large Potatoes – 60 minutes
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer
- 4 Russet potatoes (medium size)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Wash the potatoes, pat dry them with a towel.
- Brush the potatoes with oil and season them with salt.
- Place potatoes in your air fryer basket, leaving space between each potato.
- Bake the potatoes at 390F for about 50 minutes. The cooking time depends on the size of the potatoes.
- Once the time is up, using a fork to check if the potatoes are cooked through.
- Once the potatoes are ready, split them open and break down the inside a bit. Top it off with your favorite toppings.
Ashley started AirfryerMasterchef to provide genuinely useful airfryer-related reviews, guides, tips, and recipes.
“I fell in love with the air fryer ever since I started using it. I am passionate about cooking with it and have created many easy recipes that anyone can try at home.”